Top 10 reasons we know for sure (absolutely guaranteed 100%) that Jesus is the most-pro-life person on earth. The Bible including the Old Testament Scriptures that Jesus used when teaching clearly says:
- God recognizes us as unique human beings created in his image complete with an individual plan
- God destroys people and nations who harm the weak
- God loves honesty, truth, sincerity and integrity and hates the lies and deception that are foundational to every abortion
- Our body is not our own
- God is a numbers God. He loves and counts every living being including animals. He hates violence
- Abortion crosses the line into Satan’s territory
- Jesus said, Matthew 19:14 “Let the children come to me”.
- Abortion is exercising my will over God’s will
- God takes the ending of a life He created personally. It is not a political discussion to Him
- God has His own superior Plan B for unplanned pregnancies
As someone who has interviewed medical researchers and post abortion women, I’ve been troubled by Christian doctors, ministers and politicians making statement like “My faith supports abortions. Surely for a woman who was raped or faces partner violence to end the pregnancy, our loving Jesus wants the easier path”. How would we really know what Jesus thinks? Our faith is based on the Bible which we Christians believe is God’s instruction manual for life on earth. But is the Bible true? Can a book, (a series of books actually) written thousands of years ago be trusted to make life changing decisions today? I only know that 1) It has been true in my life and that 2) Scholars who have made serious attempts to refute it have ended up believing it and 3) Jesus used the Bible as it was in His day, what we call the Old Testament scriptures. (If you have decided to trust an atheist instead of the God of Creation, ask yourself if any atheist ever created a tiny fruit fly or even the so called simple cell which includes molecular robots? While high school textbooks present a neat and tidy evolution, atheist Richard Dawkins admits he cannot explain why evidence shows that things “were just planted there without any evolutionary history”1.)
To determine God’s thoughts on abortion, I’ve researched our maker’s manual from beginning to end. Here’s what it says. But first, if you’ve had an abortion and think God hates you, that is a lie. He wants you to start the healing process so that His love and blessings can be restored to your life.
- God recognizes us as unique human beings created in his image complete with an individual plan for our life before we are born and even conceived. Jeremiah 1:5 says “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13 “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb” Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you… they are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope”. Romans 8;29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son. (NLT)
- God destroys people and nations who harm the weak. You have heard of the Bible’s “Golden Rule” Matthew 7:12 “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets”. Micah 6:8 explains what that means: “No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God”. Exodus 22:22 also adds detail: “You must not exploit a widow or an orphan. If you exploit them in any way and they cry out to me, then I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will blaze against you, and I will kill you with the sword. Then your wives will be widows and your children fatherless.” God’s definition of an orphan must include a preborn baby if its mother is planning to end its life. God hates the powerful manipulating and pressing down the helpless. Psalm 106:37-42 “They even sacrificed their sons and their daughters to the demons. They shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters. By sacrificing them to the idols of Canaan, they polluted the land with murder. They defiled themselves by their evil deeds, and their love of idols was adultery in the Lord’s sight. That is why the Lord’s anger burned against his people, and he abhorred his own special possession. He handed them over to pagan nations, and they were ruled by those who hated them. Their enemies crushed them and brought them under their cruel power.” I expect God considers abortion to be the same as the act of burning a child to death on the altar to a foreign god. It’s ending an innocent life to gain a better tomorrow instead of trusting tomorrow to God. Can scripture be more clear in describing an actual abortion and God’s opinion of it than this verse? Proverbs 31: 8 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, ensure justice for those being crushed”. (emphasis mine) Proverbs 24:11,12 “Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to die; save them as they stagger to their death. Don’t excuse yourself by saying ‘Look we didn’t know.’ for God understands all hearts and sees you.. . .He will repay all people as their actions deserve.” (NLT)
- God loves honesty, truth, sincerity and integrity and hates the lies and deception that are foundational to every abortion. Proverbs 11:3 “Honesty guides good people; dishonesty destroys treacherous people.” Proverbs 11:20 “The Lord detests people with crooked hearts, but He delights in those with integrity.” Honesty and Integrity are not found in the abortion industry narrative. Women are deceived about what they are actually doing: “It’s just a blob” women are getting rid of. Women are lied to about the actual health risks to their bodies and the health risks to future children of being very seriously disabled due to the mother’s prior abortion(s). Abortion promoters claim it’s “safer than a penicillin injection” yet medical research, validated as accurate in the courtroom says, “In less than 20 minutes a young childless pregnant woman can boost her lifetime risk of breast cancer over 30% and raise her future risk of a premature delivery of a baby by about 1/3,” (Medical researcher, Brent Rooney). God cannot support a voluntary procedure that can damage our health because one of His names is “Healer”. Exodus 15:26 “…for I am the Lord, who heals you.” (NIV) Medical ethicist and law professor Dr. Margaret Somerville observes that because of our high respect for doctors, whatever they say to do is ok. We forget they are mere men or women: “So that’s the medical cloak – it shifts our moral intuition toward thinking that what we are doing is acceptable”. The abortion industry is frightened of the truth being known, because when women know of health risks, they are more likely to choose to bring the baby to full term. After Hormone Replacement Therapy was linked to breast cancer, demand dropped dramatically. Business cannot allow for a drop in demand so every time state laws are enacted that force the abortion industry to provide complete information about the health risks to women, the industry battles it in court. They keep losing but they keep battling because the abortion industry is based on lies and external pressure on the woman. Abortion is the fruit of the Great Deception from the Garden of Eden — the lie that says God’s plan is boring and Satan’s idea exciting.
- Our body is not our own. It’s the new Temple paid for by Christ’s death on the cross. You may remember the original Temple built by King Solomon was gold laden and spectacularly beautiful. But after Jesus died it, He lives in us, not a building: We read, 1 Corinthians 6:18-20, “Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. (NIV) We are not free to damage our bodies. Of course abortion is not the only thing that does damage to our body.
- God is a numbers God. He loves and counts every living being including animals. He hates violence and death and he loves to give us warnings to change our behavior. He’s aware of the little sparrow as well as entire cities. Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” And big cities: Jesus reminded us about Jonah being swallowed by a great fish. Jonah didn’t want to go to warn the city of Ninevah that God was angry at their behaviour and was going to destroy the city, because they were nasty people. But eventually Jonah went and warned them, and amazingly, they changed. God revealed his awareness of details and compassion to Jonah at 4:11, “How much more, then, should I have pity on Nineveh, that great city. After all, it has more than 120,000 innocent children in it, as well as many animals!” (GNT) Before Ninevah, was Noah and the Great Flood. Why did God destroy the earth? Genesis 6: 11: “…but everyone else was evil in God’s sight, and violence had spread everywhere.” (GNT) We can be absolutely certain that God hates the violence that is abortion.
- Abortion crosses the line into Satan’s territory. Women speak of realizing too late that they’ve done a deal with the devil. Satanists relish in the destruction of the unborn and have ceremonies centered on the fetus. Satan is not strong enough to hurt Christ so he destroys his creations through abortion.
- Jesus said, Matthew 19:14 “Let the children come to me”. “You must let little children come to me, and you must never stop them”. (PHILLIPS) Abortion stops a child from coming to Him.
- Abortion is exercising my will over God’s will. Our will should always, in all situations, be submissive to His will. 1 Samuel 15:22 “Samuel said, Which does the Lord prefer: obedience or offerings and sacrifices? It is better to obey him than to sacrifice the best sheep to him”. (GNT)
- God takes the ending of a life He created personally. It is not a political discussion to Him. Each child is His hand crafted individual miracle. No two are the same. James 1:17 “Every good gift and every perfect present comes from heaven; it comes down from God, the Creator of the heavenly lights”. (GNT)
- God has His own superior Plan B for unplanned pregnancies. Abraham got tired of waiting for the son God had promised through his wife Sarah so he did what was common in that day, got a son by sleeping with the servant girl, Hagar. Later when the promised, eagerly awaited son arrived, there was tension and Sarah demanded that the servant and her son be sent away. Soon the two were hungry and thirsty and felt abandoned. But they weren’t: Genesis 21: 17-21 “God heard the boy crying, and from heaven the angel of God spoke to Hagar, ‘What are you troubled about, Hagar? Don’t be afraid. God has heard the boy crying. Get up, go and pick him up, and comfort him. I will make a great nation out of his descendants.’ Then God opened her eyes, and she saw a well. She went and filled the leather bag with water and gave some to the boy. God was with the boy as he grew up; he lived in the wilderness of Paran and became a skillful hunter. His mother got an Egyptian wife for him.” (GNT) No mere hunter, if you do a study of this you discover the boy became the ancestor of a major part of world history. God cares about the unplanned child.
Rape? Intimate Partner Violence? If you witness the horrible sight of a distracted driver running over your pet dog, would you take out your anger toward that driver by killing your cat? If a woman is pressured to abort, she complies thinking it will save her relationship. However, after she does that, almost always, statistically, he leaves her anyway. So she loses both her partner and her child.
Is there a better way than abortion even in these especially difficult situations? Yes. God is bigger than the problems at hand and has a plan He will reveal to a woman. But it will take faith for her to follow it. Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him” (NIV) Anyone who genuinely calls out to God will hear from Him. That’s His promise.
God’s plan B may appear more difficult than the quick fix but in the long run a woman will be happier and healthier following God’s plan. Even women forced against their will to abort decades earlier testify that the remorse and regret does not diminish. Some have the added agony of knowing the only child they were ever given, they aborted. Others simply know their family is incomplete. These women plead to those pondering abortion, “Don’t do it”. Some have said, “I got over my rape, I never got over my abortion”. James 5:11 “…The Lord is full of compassion and mercy” (NIV) Romans 8;28 Moreover we know that to those who love God, who are called according to his plan, everything that happens fits into a pattern for good. (PHILLIPS) Wherever you are in your life, when you give it to Christ, He will make good things come out of the past and give you the strength to move forward.
Romans 8:38-39 adds, “I have become absolutely convinced that neither death nor life, neither messenger of Heaven nor monarch of earth, neither what happens today nor what may happen tomorrow, neither a power from on high nor a power from below, nor anything else in God’s whole world has any power to separate us from the love of God in Jesus Christ our Lord!” (PHILLIPS) That love will be shown through the people God will send to help a woman if she will call out to God and reach out to others. Yes I appreciate that’s easy for me to say. I know there are millions of women in harsh and challenging situations. Will God really come through for them? He, not me, says ‘Yes’. From the Scriptures, Nahum 1:7 “The Lord is good; he protects his people in times of trouble; he takes care of those who turn to him. (GNT) A great starting place is a nearby crisis pregnancy counselling center.
Copyright, B. Keith Neely, Toronto Canada, 2016, 416 464 0445, Permission granted to use this work in its entirety; Top 10 reasons-Jesus more pro-life than anyone on earth
About the author: B. Keith Neely lives in the Greater Toronto Area and is the father of 3 daughters and 4 grandchildren. He just celebrated his 42nd wedding anniversary. Keith remembers the early days of the abortion debate at SUNY at Buffalo. As a Speech Communication major, in total ignorance of the facts, he wrote and delivered pro-choice speeches. He is the producer of “Wound and Abandoned” the free and online documentaries about the health risks of abortion to women.
1/ Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker: Why The Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design (New York: W.W. Norton, 1987), 229. As quoted in “Improbable Planet: How Earth Became Humanity’s Home, Hugh Ross, Baker Books, 2016, 177. (I encourage a skeptic to read this book, “Improbable Planet”. It points out that the millions of years evolutionary scientists claim God took to form the earth as we know it, was a mandatory and precisely guided preparation for the current 10,000 years or so of civilization we are living in, not a random meteorite caused destruction on earth . –B. K. Neely)
New Living Translation (NLT), Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
New International Version (NIV), Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Good News Translation (GNT), Copyright © 1992 by American Bible Society
J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS), The New Testament in Modern English by J.B Phillips copyright © 1960, 1972 J. B. Phillips. Administered by The Archbishops’ Council of the Church of England. Used by Permission.